Our church is located in the heart of Ruabon providing services and events for the community and its congregations. The building has been standing in Ruabon for over six hundred years and is home to two congregations. These being, the Church in Wales and the Roman Catholics.
The Church in Wales congregation is a part of the Offa mission area within the diocese of St Asaph. The Roman Catholic congregation is connected to the Parish of St Richard Gwyn within the wider diocese of Wrexham. You can find links to their websites on the links page.
We believe and proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ namely that God is active and personal, a Father who cares for his creation, and for every human being as his beloved child;
That God is as he has revealed himself to be in the historical person of Jesus Christ and that through the life, death and resurrection of this one person, God has proclaimed his love for the world, and opened a way, accessible through our response of faith, by which his love and life may be poured into our lives;
That God is at work in the world today as Spirit, inspiring faith, justice and truth. We believe that God has called all who respond to him to be his people, and to work together to act as ambassadors for his work of healing in the world.
This is Good News, because it encourages each one of us to realise that God loves us, that he has gone out of his way to meet us in the person of his Son, in whom he accepts us as we are. He asks us to draw on his strength to live life to the full, and to bring healing to the world. We invite you to join with us in sharing this Good News.
Rev. Kate Tiltman
Church in wales
Rev. Trish Owens
church in wales
Rev. Anthony Nnamah
diocese of wrexham
The presence of a centre for Christian worship in the old parish of Ruabon has been hallowed by its association with the Celtic saints. Edward Lhuyd, writing in about 1697, says ‘They call a field, where there is a cross in Ruabon parish, Kappel Kollen and a field Cae’r groes newydd and another Errow armon’. Nearby is the field cae gosper, meaning ‘Evensong or Vespers’. There may have been a place of worship in this western township of Dininlle Issa of which these field names recall the Saints Collen and Garmon. The place name Rhiwabon, the hillside or slope of Mabon, refers possibly to the sixth-century St Mabon the Confessor, son of Tegonwy ab Teon and brother to St Llewelyn of Welshpool. The name Mabon means a ‘boy’ or ‘youth’; in old Welsh it is Maponos, which as Apollo Maponos occurs as the name of the Celtic Sun god.
The site of the existing church in the township of Rhuddallt is surrounded by the neat circular churchyard which formerly extended to the west down Ysgoldy Hill and is a rare survival in Wrexham Maelor of a llan -‘the church within an enclosed cemetery’, ‘the township surrounding a parish church’. The township of Rhuddallt lies between Offa’s and Wat’s dykes, the boundary between the Welsh and English from the eighth century. The site of the church is therefore pre-Norman, possibly a seventh-century foundation, dedicated to St Collen. In the Valuation of Norwich (1254) it is described as the Church of St Collen, Ruabon. By the end of the thirteenth century the parish had been appropriated to the Cistercian Abbey of Valle Crucis and the church re-dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary with the Feast of the Assumption (15 August) as its festival.