The Parish Chests

The parish chests once held the parish records and communion plate. They invariably had two or three locks -the Incumbent could not act without the churchwardens. There are two chests, one in the vestry is of wood, dated 1637, and bears the inscription:-

‘Within this chest are writing layde,
Whereby six pounds a year convey’d
Unto Ruabon poor: it was given
By William Eyton, who is in heaven.’

In the south aisle the other chest may be seen; it is a strong magnificent iron chest dated 1709 when David Lloyd and Robert Roberts were wardens. The chest bears a strong resemblance to another made in 1738 which is now in St Asaph Cathedral. Richard Davies Vicar of Ruabon, was a canon of St Asaph.

The 1738 chest has been attributed {without firm evidence) as the work of the Davies family of Croes Foel, famous for their exquisite wrought-iron work as, for example, in the gates at Leeswood and also at Chirk Castle. Parish Records together with a comprehensive collection of parish registers dating back, unbroken, to 1559 and a full and representative collection of Civil Records and churchwardens accounts are now deposited in the Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin

Related Pages

Recent Notices

Follow us